#theblindmanswife

#theblindmanswife

Sunday 28 August 2016

Day 27: #TheBlock

How many blind men does it take to change a lightbulb? Answer: Just 1! Yes in my family my husband and his ability to be the man about the house and do almost everything a dial-a-hubby would be able to is just the norm


Over the 25 years we have bought and sold houses five times and proudly I say that we have always (with help from some of our mates) done our own renovations. Deano is one of the most persistent men I have ever met. He never lets the small things get in his way. I've watched him use a drill, drop the screw a thousand times, and feel with the palm of his hands all around to find that teeny tiny screw and complete the job he set out to do. He does not give up or give in. I have watched him build me a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and laundry. I've helped him tear down walls, rebuild fences, and paint the the whole house from top to bottom. I have felt sick with the worry watching my blind husband walk across the roof to nail down the iron that was leaking, I have turned away and winced as he used a chain saw or a power saw, I have looked on as he hired cement trucks to poor slabs creating new water courses, a front verandah repair or a new carport surface and shed flooring. Not to mention the time he paved 80 square metres to create a herringbone driveway over a long weekend, paving until midnight just to get the job done before returning to work on the Tuesday morning.  He has used a nail gun to build bathroom hob for a replacement  bath tub and under the carful eye of his electrician mate he helped rewire our home.

Our first home was built in 1927. Before we purchased it, the building was the home for squatters, it was full of graffiti and syringes. We lovingly restored the horse and cart street sweepers dwelling over 7 years. When the water was switched off for us to have our bathroom renovated my husband sent me to live in my parents home a 6 hours drive away for three weeks. In that time he gutted the bathroom, rebuilt the walls and waterproofed the room. Only damaging his thumb by thwacking it with the hammer just once. I remember him ringing me with pain in his voice telling me his tail of woe, but not dwelling on the pain, changing the subject and asking me how our girls are fairing away from their Daddy for so long. 
Deano grinding away at our gyprock to make it smooth
 Deano is critical of his work but I am his biggest supporter. Even though the mitred joints may not meet up completely, the nails are not always the straightest and the cut tiles are not perfect, I love the work he does and can live with the flaws. Nobody we have sold our houses to have known it has been the work of a Blindman,  his work must pass the quality test. We recently visited our first house we lovingly restored 20 years ago and the owners had not changed a thing. Not even the wallpaper....he must be doing something right! 
Deano Cementing a water course
Laying  Bush rock for the water course
Water Course a happy place for day children to play in the summer heat in recycled rain water

When people say he is inspirational it is somewhat awkward. Deano lives to please himself, and his wife and to provide for his family. He does not ever see himself as inspirational to others. He humbly goes about his day just doing what he loves to...just as any sighted man would...catering for the needs of his family.
Preparing our pathways for paving
Completed paved courtyard in our first home


 Yes,  it takes him longer to create than anyone else (and sometimes this frustrates me) but this is his normal and that's what I remind myself especially when I see the dishwasher that still needs to be plumbed in a year after we have moved into our most recent address. I don't think that this delay is due to his blindness...it's a man thing!   Hint hint hubby dear!!! Ps I love you


Deano Building his tool shed
Completed renovation of our bedroom

No comments:

Post a Comment