#theblindmanswife

#theblindmanswife

Friday 26 August 2016

Day 25: Second Chance

People are so easily offended at times where no offence was meant to be. I remember one time when Deano was walking through the Childcare centre in which I worked and tripped straight over a baby bassinet that was on the ground at the approach to the centre. At the time he apologised to the slightly distraught mother and with no injury to the baby he kept walking into the centre to join me for lunch. At this point in time Deano was 6 months out of university searching for work. 


Later that day I got a dressing down from my boss telling me my blind husband ought to be more careful when entering into a Childcare situation. Not once did she choose to educate the parent around his condition or did she think to ask me about what she could do to improve the outcome in the future. Instead she used this as an example of my incompetence when she gave me my marching orders just one week later. I hadn't been at the job for more than a month and wasn't feeling a good vibe at the service, however I did need the work and was devastated  when I lost the job. Deano was really finding it challenging to obtain work. He sent out around 50 applications or so every couple of days. I was determined we would not be destitute.  It was the first time I had ever been fired and it was the last time too!

As the door closed on this job I remembered a Childcare service in a neighbouring suburb. I got in my little car and drove from my now ex-employer in the direction of our home. Following a instinctive prompting on my journey I changed my course, instead Of going home and wallowing in my missery, I drove myself over to the large building with cartoon characters plastered all over the front fence. Shaking and somewhat feeling of no worth I walked into the front door and asked to speak to the manager. I was totally in luck. I explained my plight to this lady who sat with gold jewellery dripping around her neck and from her ears, whose fingers had a gold and diamond ring on every digit which was adorned with extremely long fake nails. Showing her my qualifications I expressed how I would be happy to clean, be an assistant or work part time. My qualification that I have would entitle me to be a director of a small service  but I felt so low at this point that I thought surely I wasn't  good enough for that sort of position. 

Gwynn was the name of this woman whose face looked tough until she smiled. Looking at my Diploma  and sizing me up, she nodded her head and shook my hand. "Welcome on board" was her confident response. "That woman at the other Centre doesn't know what gold she is missing" From that point on and for the next year Gwynn saw in me what the previous woman had failed. Yes, she was a tough Boss, always a straight shooter keeping her staff in line, but she recognised in me that I was a hard worker. When she had no work in particular for me she found jobs I could do. Gwynn gave me the responsibilities of full time relief person for her 5 Childcare centres. I worked all over and felt really blessed by the opportunity. In the end Gwynn told me she really didn't like the owner of the previous centre I worked for, and at first, her choice to have me come on board was to prove to my old boss that she had made a big mistake. Then as time went on I truly lived up to her expectations. In the end, Gwynn this tough woman with a soft centre cried when I left her service . Gwynn now is the President of the Australian Childcare Alliance and CEO of Childcare QLD. 


 I felt like this woman, although seen as a hard taskmaster to some really does love and care for those who come to work for her.  She was a great leader and still today I think about her and how I can reflect her leadership skills in my capacity as a business owner. I don't know if she even remembers me today, the 19 year old girl who was married to a blind man, but I will always remember her kindness. Her ability to see my need and her desire to help grow my confidence in this area of work I will forever be grateful for. Dean always felt welcome in her presence, and at a time when he struggled finding work Gwynn helped us feel a sense of security and that everything was going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment