#theblindmanswife

#theblindmanswife

Thursday 25 August 2016

Day 24: Beware Mrs Darth Vader

The day we decided it was time for Deano to learn how to use his seeing eye cane we went to the holiday sea side town of beautiful Coffs Harbour. Lorin my blind brother-in-law and his wife also attended a week of mandatory classes before the boys would be allowed onto the streets using their newly acquired mobility devise...it was as if they were going for a drivers licence...but for visually impaired people moving around with a cane. 

When we agreed to attending cane training I didn't know what I was signing up for. Yes I thought it was Lorin and Dean who were enrolling in this unusual course...nope I was wrong...Five days laying in the sun with my toes in the water every now and then when it got just a little too hot, was what this little white whale thought she was doing for the week, no, wrong again, because we were all enrolled. Lucky for my sister-in-law(well not really) she got sick and ended up spending the week in the hotel bed...perhaps she was faking it after she found out what we were in for. 
How the heck was I enrolled, I thought when I said I'd be the support person that meant driving my blind man to the course and picking him up when the day was done with a warm meal on the table ready for his supper. Nope, not at all. 

Let me tell you a little  about what I had inadvertently signed up for in this holiday tourist destination on the eastern seaboard of Australia. On the very first day (remembering my sister-in-law was sick in bed so now I have two blind men to take with me) the three of us meet Gerry our trainer. Gerry is a softy spoken man, not like any personal trainer I've ever met before. Unlike the PT's at my local gym, who are ready to whip my butt into shape,muscle bound with a shiny golden tan and a presence that is a wee bit fearful, making you feel compelled to die doing 1000 star jumps or take one's last breath trying, because you'd rather do that than fail in their presence. No Gerry was not at all like that at all. He dressed in a white polo shirt, slender build with a big smile on his face carrying a broad British accent with a loveable twinkle in his eye. He warmly welcomes us to  "Camp Cane Training" and hands the boys their weapons. Two shines new canes with a red tipped end and a ball that spun at the bottom. This was kind of exciting. I liked seeing my guys getting presents especially ones that they would eventually be using their whole lives. But this is where the feel good part of this story ends! 

Gerry my new friend also hands me a white cane with a red tip and a ball on the end. Then looking at me with a wink and a crooked grin he hands me a second gift. It's something I, never in a million years, thought that I would be gifted. Growing up with a father who owned an industrial engineering shop I had seen men wear these to protect their eyes from blindness due intense light caused by the flames and sparks of welding. In fact I think it was my Dads hope that one of us daughters would take over the dirty welding shop when he was due to retire...that wasn't in my plan. I never had a desire to wear one and never have I been gifted one. Not until now, that is, and I was expected to adorn it every day for at least 5 hours a day for a week. That's not all...when I put on this gift the glass panel at the front had been painted out all except a small pin prick of a hole to replicate a person with tunnel vision. I felt so confronted, it was a strange overwhelming sensation. I truly perceived I had been robbed. I just wanted to take it off, alas this would defeat the purpose of the course. You see Deano and his brother needed me to go through this. As a support person it was essential for me to know physically and emotionally  the challenges these two men face. They don't get to take their mask off to make their sight better, so why should I. It was traumatic!!!

Instead of lying on the beach, my lot was to tap my way around the swimming pool area of the hotel, find the steps, ramps, fall zones, poles and doorways managing not to fall into the pool or strike any of the sun bathing guests. At this point I am glad they have given we a full mask because my face would have shown my flustered expressions and my sheer embarrassment of having to wear a mask that mutated everything I could once see. 

On the second day we took the party to the shopping centre. This was a whole new experience of dodging tourist and locals as they wandered around the shops. I'm not quite sure if they were staring at us...the two blind men and the crazy lady with the mask...or what they were thinking, but I do know that it didn't matter...all that mattered to me was that they stayed out of my way because I would die if I inadvertently hit someone with my stick. Yes the boys could get away with it cause they looked blind but this weirdo with the mask...what was her caper? Was she trying to be Darth Varder with a light sabre? Well at least that's what I would have been thinking if I was in their shoes. 

Days three and four and five were more of the same, lots of walking, down the beach, over Mutton Bird Island and through the shops over and over again, all the while I figured people were stopping to stare, but this I will never know because I could not see the passer bye reactions. My embarrassment was all in my head. Perhaps the whole township of Coffs Harbour were used to the sight of cane training happening in their city. 

The most frightening part of the PT sessions was the practice of crossing the road safely. Using my hearing to count cars and listen to them approaching and listening to them leaving, counting how fast (if they are doing the speed limit) it takes for them to advance towards us and how many counts it takes for us to decide they have passed by safely. Now try that with cars coming from both directions. Insanity! I tell you.

Fifteen years on I am ever thankful for that weird welder mask...I never thought I would have to wear one in my life and I never really want to wear one again. I did learn to be grateful for my sight that week. In spite of temporarily losing my eyes I did gain confidence that I could cope with whatever life throws at me. I learnt to have empathy for my husbands needs and to count approaching cars with my eyes closed! Yes I literally went bananas at the Big Banana! Oh the opportunities this life gifts us! Luckily I am one crazy lady and feel blessed by the insane experiences such as these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment