#theblindmanswife

#theblindmanswife

Sunday 14 August 2016

Day 13: Follow the Blind Guy

The lessons we learn in life mostly are given to us without asking for them. Without realising it my blind man has been teaching our children from the day they were born how to serve others.

 When we brought my first baby home. Dean was a hands on dad. After having an emergency Caesar I was still very much in pain to get up out of bed.  It was as if a wilder  beast had taken a chunk out of my abdomen and I had been left to die as the doctors released from hospital just 72 hours after this Bub was delivered. Feeling like I was hit by a bus and was undergoing 2 hourly torture chamber treatment every time this little infant latched onto my sore swollen breasts to feed I would cry out in pain. To say I was a natural mother would have been a gross overstatement. I found the whole process difficult and depressing, post natal depression was a real issue I had deal with. Everything about child birth and the following few moths with our new addition to our little family was certainly not joyous to me. 
#Blindman looking a little weary caring for his tribe of 4 daughters


During this period my blind husband came into his own. He was the one who got up every two hours. Dean, in often temperature going into minus degrees in the cold of the north west of the NSW winter would check on our new little bubba. Yes this man who could not see learnt how to change a wriggling babies nappy, he managed to swaddle a crying  baby and to dress and bath a baby that had projectile discharged all over the place (He now says he chooses not to remember these things) Going from comments of other couples I believe my man was coping with being a new Dad as well as any of the best. We did quickly learn though that cloth nappies and pins were not the best option when he stuck himself with the pin which was a great warning for us to switch this up and buy the snaps that won't risk hurting the newborn. 

With each daughter he was my champion. By the time we had our fourth daughter all via Caesarian section Deano was able to sweet talk the nursing staff around into letting him stay in a lazy boy chair beside my bed, just for the first night so he could help me with showering and help this woman who had been cut in half for the fourth time, with feeding, getting our little baby out of the crib and bringing her to me for tender kisses and cuddles. It really was a loving experience, that had he not been blind I think would have never happened. Dean explained to the nurses that he could not drive home on his own so they agreed to leaving him there to help me. Such a blessing. 

Safe delivery of our fourth daughter

Talking to a friend about her experience falling pregnant in her 40's after having three children in her 20's she asked me would I consider having children now at this age? The answer was of course- hell no! I already have enough mouths to feed.  

Now our oldest had made it to the ripe old age of 21 and she is just like her Dad. When she sees someone who is in need our girl makes her self available to render service. Although our girls are far from perfect we are proud that in this one thing we've got it right. Teaching them to give service through his loving care in-spite of his physical challenges has inspired us to be better people and that's a lesson we are reminded of daily.  

1 comment:

  1. I have only met one of your girls but I have been in awe at how protective of the her Dad she is . She is a loving ,kind, intelligent, wonderful girl, a daughter to be proud of as I am sure the others are as well dents and all lol. Once again I am in awe of, not only Dean but your whole family . I assumed that you would have just been like a single mum having a blind husband . but oh how that saying fits "When you assume you make an Ass out of U and ME " I think what makes Deano so special is he has learnt to see with his heart . love to you all Bear .

    ReplyDelete