#theblindmanswife

#theblindmanswife

Friday 15 May 2015

Biking it the Liam Neeson way

"Don't forget your wallet" was what I was prompted to say to Deano as he walked out the front door and started to push his bike up the hill to ride to school and catch a lecture for the morning. Money was always tight and although we had a car we had to watch how much we spent on petrol. Deano still enjoyed riding his pushie so was happy to ride his way to university helping him to stay fit and active and independent. Forgetting that he is blind for just one moment he laughed at me when I insisted " I just have a prompting to tell you to take your wallet" to which he replied "Why I have no money?" And with a flippant grin I responded "Just do it for me...you never know you might get hit by a bus!"
That morning was early march...we had moved house and now lived on the downside of a hill on the outskirts of the city of Lismore. The rent was a little cheaper but so were the diggs. The unit smelt like stale smoke and the man that lived in the apartment above us had a nervous disorder where he made an explosive noise that was thrust deep from his guttural base of his bowels and exploded out of his mouth every five to to 10 minutes or so, like someone was shunting him with the heimlich manoeuvre.  The only time the noise would cease was when he was asleep. Lucky for us he was aged and not a party animal who stayed up to all hours of the night. 
So there I was reading text books at my desk which butted up to large misty window overlooking our overgrown common garden. All was quiet apart from the grunting coming from the man upstairs. It was that quiet that I literally could hear crickets long before it was a joke! With my mind on early childhood ages and stages of development and Freudian theories and the like, to my surprise from the corner of my eye I spy my husband limping down the path, wearing a torn bloodied shirt, broken helmet in one hand, bent and buckled front wheel of his bike in the other. So many questions ran through my mind but the ones that stood out the most was...where was the rest of your bike and how much damage did you do to the bus?
Of course that was not the first thing I said to him ( I do know how to show some restraint and compassion at times) and of course I asked Deano what happened in the most compassionate way that I could muster...followed by...I told you to take your wallet....I knew something would happen today...I was prompted!
I guess you want to know what actually happened to my poor blind man. Deano was doing his usual, riding his way home down the side of the mountain with his eyes firmly fixed on the white line when a car backing out of a driveway failed to see Dean on his death defying mission home. With Deano careering down the hill, wind in his hair, the silver bullet of a bike comes to an abrupt holt collecting the passenger door of the sedan. Deano and the bike begin his first open air acrobatic display flying over the top of the  of the car and like a pro tucking and rolling landing on the back of his backpack and propelling forward ending this manoeuvre in a squat position on his feet. 
For his Ciurqu-du-Soleil efforts Deano was offered a ride home by the distraught driver, a broken write-off of a bike and a few life long scars on his lower back where the road chew through his shirt and his epidermal layer covering each vertebrae on his lumbar. 
What did we learn from this experience? (you might be asking)... I learnt that listening to spiritual promptings, you know the thoughts hat come to you just out if the blue or the inner voice that prompts you to say or do something you would not have done otherwise, no matter how weird, follow that advise. It is powerful!
If I was to ask Deano what he learnt from this event I am sure there were a couple of teaching moments...the bike helmet and back pack saved his life, his wife is in tune with promptings and last but not least...don't leave home without your wallet!

No comments:

Post a Comment